You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!

Monkey Face Expression of amazement

“Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, Awesome in praises, working wonders?” Ex 15:11

Up till now in Mark’s gospel, most folks seem to have viewed Jesus as a rabbi.  He taught with authority, He healed, He cast out demons.  He did what other rabbis did, or at least tried to do.  He was just REALLY good at what He did.  But now, Mark reveals a whole new depth to Jesus – His awesome power which results in hope for the hopeless and glory to God!  In each of the four power displays in Mark 4:35-5:43, Jesus accomplished what NO ONE ELSE could.

Power over Nature 4:35-41

(Ps 65:7; 106:9; John 1:3; Col 1:16-17; Heb 1:3)

stormy seas

The 911 Situation: Life threatening storm, Jesus asleep…

The Power Display: 2 words, instant calm…

The Reaction: Extreme fear, wonder…

My Take-away:

How can this episode help me deal with a current storm in my life? If Jesus says “Get in the boat, we are going to the other side,” then I can be certain we will get to the other side.  Where is Jesus setting me up to realize my complete dependence on Him?  How do I react when Jesus seems to be asleep in my life? Do I believe that the Creator of all things can control all things?

Power over most extreme case of Demon Possession 5: 1-20

(Luke 19:10, Luke 8:31,35; Ps 40:3,4a; Ps 66:16; Ps 71:14-15)

Power

The 911 Situation: Man possessed by 1000’s of demons, awful existence…

The Power Display: Instantly freed from demon possession; 2000 pigs drowned

The Reaction: The townsfolk: Fear, “Please leave!” The man: full devotion. “I will follow You and share my story”

My Take-away: 

What’s my ‘before and after’ story? Am I cultivating sinful practices that could give satan a foothold in my life?  When have I felt like the townspeople, wishing Jesus would leave because He’s changing too much in my life?

Power over long-term, Incurable Disease  4:24-34 

(Lev 15:25-30; Matt 5:3; Ps 23; Ps 28:7; Ps 34:18; Ps 116)

faithful touch pic

The 911 Situation: Life threatening illness; physical, social (ceremonially unclean), financial desperation...

The Power Display: Power flowed in response to faithful touch; Immediate and complete restoration…

The Reaction: Immediate awareness of full healing…

My Take-away: 

In what area do I need to be healed or restored? Do I approach my alone times with God with a “touch and run” perspective or with a “look God in the eye” opportunity? When I face problems, is Christ usually my first move or last move? When have I come to the end of myself and became fully transparent with, and dependent on, Jesus?

Power over Death 4:21-24; 36-43

(Ps 56:3,4,11; Ps 107:8,15,21,31; Ps 146:5; Ps 147:3)

Death pic

The 911 Situation: Life threatening illness of child becomes death… 

The Power Display: Raised teenager from dead…

The Reaction: Completely astounded…

My Take-away: 

Where am I currently listening to the voices of unbelief (inside me or outside me) in the face of a difficult situation?  What would Jesus say?  It’s been said, ‘Don’t wait until a crisis to start learning how to pray.’  In light of that, what daily practice can I start now to cultivate my confidence in God’s character (Ps 3:3)?

Tag Teams:

I’ve processed these Power displays and I have observed all the reactions.  What is my response to the Powerful One?